Logotipo Gentile Law

Living in Spain after Brexit

Living in Spain after Brexit Publicado: 17-02-2020


On February 1, 2020 the United Kingdom and Northern Ireland withdraws from the European Union and the Withdrawal Agreement enters into force, establishing a transitional period until December 31, 2020.

Until that date, all the rights deriving from the application of Union law shall be maintained, except for the political rights, such a voting or stand as a candidate in elections to the European Parliament.

You should know that Spain and the United Kingdom have adopted a bilateral agreement in relation to municipal elections, so that Spanish and British citizens will be able to vote and to stand as candidates in the local elections.

If you are an English citizen and you are planning to come and live in Spain THIS IS THE MOMENT, why?

Because while the transitional period lasts you are still a European citizen, so if you want to reside in Spain for more than three months you only have to register before the immigration authorities in Spain (Registro Central de Extranjeros), but you do not need an administrative authorization.

The current requirements to live in Spain for European Citizens are:

  • Form EX19
  • Fee – 12€
  • Depending on the personal situation:
    • Work contract
    • Register before the Social Security as freelancer, or
    • Proof of financial resources and private health insurance.

What will happen from 1 January 2021, when the transitional period ends?

The rights of British citizens and their family members who begin their legal residence in Spain after the transitional period will be those established by the Agreement that regulates the future relationship or, failing that, those established by the general immigration regime.

For those who were register before Brexit or during the transitional period, the Spanish government will issue for them foreigners’ identity cards (TIE), in order to prove their residence and the related acquired rights.

At Goy Gentile Abogados we are specialists in immigration law and can advise you on the application for visas, residence permits and other matters related to stays and residences for foreigners in Spain.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact us through email at abogados@goygentile.com or by phone at +34 914.354.519

Send Comment